Title: Love is only Sleeping

Author/pseudonym: Pamela

Fandom: Newsies

Pairing: Jack/Sarah

Rating: PG, for now...

Status: New, Incomplete

Archive: Anyone who wants it, but this is likely not going to be finished

E-mail address for feedback: TheonlyASD@ao l.com All those that don't comment get attacked by my eyeless Sharpei dog, Hercules

Series/Sequel: standalone (and the cheese stands alone...anyone remember that?)

Disclaimers: The movie Newsies is copyrighted 1992 to Disney and Buena Vista. I don't own it, and am only borrowing the characters for a quick reaffirmation in the existence of true love. (or not) The song "Love is Only Sleeping" is my favorite Monkees song, written in 1967 by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil (or is it Wiel?)

Notes: OK, this is really bad, I mean to the point that I'm hesitant to post it, but I wrote it just to have something to post, so deal with it. No, it's not a songfic, I don't write them, I was just listening to the song when I started writing.

Summary: Jack and Sarah re-examine their relationship

Warnings: Slow Children at Play, watch out for Monkees :)



Love Is Only Sleeping
By Riser


Since the end of the strike, the newsies had started to go their separate ways. The younger ones still continued to sell the papes with a smile, but those that had participated felt that they had moved on to bigger and better things.

Jack, like the others, still sold papers in the evening, but spent the morning interviewing with various Manhattan businesses. Each day he was told he was not qualified for one particular job, but "perhaps another position would be more suitable? Try the next building over." He had taken to sitting in the back row of Irving Hall, nursing a glass of beer rather than enjoying Medda's performance.

On one particular night, the sullen and defeated expression on Jack's face was enough for Medda to notice him from the stage. After the show, she came up to him and offered to let him spend the night in the empty room backstage. "You need a rest, Kelly. You're working too hard. You're wasting your youth."

Jack glanced up at her concerned face briefly, then lowered his eyes. "I'm not a child. I just turned 18. Someone my age should have a job, supporting himself, not living in a boarding house wid a bunch of kids," Jack sighed.

Medda just looked at him warmly. She motioned for him to continue.

Jack continued, "my friends are all working at restaurants or shops, and they just don't have time ta waste on a has-been." His eyes started to shine. "I haven't even seen Sarah in days."

"That's one that I can fix." Medda motioned to a figure nearby, and Jack was surprised to see Sarah step out.

"Sarah!" Jack just stared, and barely noticed as Medda kissed his cheek and left. "Where have ya been?"

This was not how Sarah wanted this meeting to go. "What do you mean, where have I been? I've been looking all over for you! I should've known you'd be here…"

Jack bit back his reply. "Let's not fight, I haven't gotten ta see ya in far too long. D'ya wanna go for a walk or sometin'?"

She hesitated before nodding.



PART TWO SOON